Learn data integration and development of SSIS packages with our SQL Server Integration Services course.
Master data integration using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) with our comprehensive full course. Discover the power of Microsoft’s leading ETL tool, SQL Server Integration Services, through our in-depth SSIS tutorials. Learn the essentials of creating and utilizing packages for various data operations, such as loading flat files, Excel files, XML files, and transferring data between databases using DTSX packages.
Develop SSIS packages with the latest version of Visual Studio (2022) and SQL Server Data Tools for seamless Integration Services projects. Our practical, step-by-step online courses teach you Microsoft BI technology through hands-on examples.
Table of Contents
What is SQL Server Integration Services ?
SSIS is a data loading tool that can be used to migrate data from one location to another. SSIS is a very powerful and flexible tool that can be used for many different purposes. The main purpose of SSIS is to load data into a database, or to transfer it from one data source to another. Here we use the SQL Server database as the target. It can also extract, transform and load data from other sources such as flat files, CSV files, Excel files, etc.
It can also be used for tasks such as backing up data, copying data from one database to another or archiving logs. Technically, it is a feature of SQL Server that helps automate the process of moving data from one system to another.
Learn SSIS with practical courses
The courses are based on SQL Server 2019 and are gradually updated to the latest versions of MS SQL, i.e. SQL Server 2022. The current version is Microsoft SQL Server 2022. At Expert-Only.com, we offer top-quality IT courses for both beginners and seasoned professionals, including our 100% online SSIS training. Enhance your business intelligence skills with Microsoft BI tools like SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, and Power BI, and stay ahead in the ever-evolving IT industry.
1. Set up the SSIS development environment
First and foremost, to learn about data integration and develop your first project, start by installing the Microsoft SQL Server BI development environment. Here are the 3 necessary software packages:
- Install the SSIS projects extension in Visual Studio 2019
- Download and install SQL Server Management Studio 18 (SSMS)
- Download and install SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition
Before the set up of the environnement, if you are encountering issues with the SSIS projects, here is how to uninstall the SSIS extension.
2. Create basic SSIS packages
Then create a solution, a project and a package with simple control flows and data flows. Then learn how to manipulate data and files with SSIS.
- Create an SSIS project and package with Visual Studio 2019
- Connect to a SQL Server database using SSIS the connection manager
3. SSIS control flows and data flows
The main elements of a package are control flows and data flows. Typically having one or more sources and one or multiple targets.
- Create a simple SSIS data flow to transfer and transform data
- Create a pause in an SSIS package using T-SQL
4. Import and export flat files using SSIS
In this section, these tutorials on Microsoft SSIS ETL are about file management. And especially the import of data from an external source to a database. In these examples, the target database is a SQL Server database.
- Import a CSV or TXT file into a SQL database
- Create an SSIS loop to load multiple flat files with one data flow
- Export data from a SQL Server table into a CSV file using SSIS
5. Import and export Excel files with SSIS packages
- Download and install the 2016 Excel drivers for SSIS
- Create and manage SSIS connection strings to import Excel files
- Manage the Excel columns data type detection with SSIS
- Import an Excel file into a SQL Server table with SSIS
- Export data from a SQL Server table into an Excel file
- Import a specific range of cells from an Excel file
6. Import and export XML documents
- Import XML files into a SQL Server table using SSIS
- Export SQL Server data into an XML file with SSIS
7. ZIP files and folders within an SSIS package
8. Develop advanced SSIS packages
- Use the SSIS Pivot transformation to transform rows to columns
- Transform columns into rows with SSIS UNPIVOT
- Use the SSIS Merge JOIN component to group multiple tables
- Aggregate data from multiple tables using SSIS
- Group multiple tables with SSIS Union All
9. Manage SSIS packages
- Run an SSIS package from the Windows command line
- Deploy SSIS packages to servers with the cmd dtutil tool
- Enable and configure SSIS package logging in SQL Server
Conclusion about the SSIS course
So, in conclusion, SQL Server Integration Services is a data integration tool that can be used to migrate data between different systems. It can also extract, transform and load data from various sources, and perform tasks such as backing up data and archiving logs.
These tutorials provide a practical approach to learning SSIS, with examples and step-by-step instructions for setting up the development environment, creating and manipulating packages, and developing advanced SSIS projects.
These courses cover a wide range of topics, including importing and exporting data from flat files, Excel files and XML documents, and using SSIS for data aggregation and merging. These tutorials are aimed at both beginners and experienced IT professionals who want to improve their BI skills with Microsoft tools.