How to download the latest version of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio or SSMS ? The latest version of SSMS is SSMS 18. SSMS allow users to connect to a SQL Server database in order to query tables or views. But also SSAS cubes. Or to develop a full database project, SSMS is the most used software, and it’s a free Microsoft tool!
In other words, this article shows how to download SQL Server Management Studio from the official MS website and how to install it.
How to download Microsoft SSMS ?
First, SSMS stands for SQL Server Management Studio and it allows developers, engineers and business analysts to connect to multiple Microsoft databases services, for instance:
- Database Engines: is the RDBMS for Relational Database Management System that host and makes the databases run.
- Analysis Services : SSAS is the MS OLAP system for On Line Analytical Processing, to perform Business Intelligence analysis and manage multidimensional cubes.
- Integration Services : Microsoft integration tools, SSIS, to integrate and organize data in databases.
- Reporting Services : SSRS is the Microsoft reporting tool.
- Azure-SSIS Integration Runtime (available since this the 18 version)
Indeed, the three Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence services are Integration, Analysis and Reporting Services. It id possible to manage these three BI components from the different tools in SSMS software. However, Visual Studio is the tool for developing database and business intelligence MS projects, the current latest version is Visual Studio 2019 at the time we write this article.
How to install the SQL Server Management Studio 18 version?
To finish, for the installation, launch the SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe file for the English language version. Please note that SSMS 18 version is compatible with SSMS 16, the previous version. The two versions allows the users to launch and use them on the same Windows machine at the same time.
Moreover, to go further on the SQL databases topic, here is how to create a database from the graphical interface of SSMS.